Almshouses, Gaywood Road, Kings Lynn, Norfolk

Almshouses, Gaywood Road, Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Photograph taken 28 July 2001 © Graham Brown LRPS. Source Historic England Archive ref: 384108

These almshouses are of 13th century origin. They were also known as Gaywood Hospital. They were destroyed in the Siege of Lynn in 1643, during the Civil War. They were rebuilt in 1649. The eight almshouses are arranged around a courtyard. They were restored in 1904, with further restoration and modernisation in 1965.

Location

Norfolk Kings Lynn

Period

Stuart (1603 - 1713)

Tags

almshouse charity philanthropy Medieval (1066 - 1484) Stuart (1603 - 1713)