Auckland Castle, Bishop Auckland, Durham
Auckland Castle is also known as the Bishop's Palace. It is the official residence of the Bishop of Durham. It also contains the diocesan office and 2 independent flats. It was originally a manor house, probably begun for Bishop du Puiset (1153-95). It was completed in the first half of the 13th century and altered and enlarged for Bishop Bek (1284-1311). It has since been added to many times including c1530 when the south dining room was built for Bishops Ruthal and Tunstall. It had a major rebuilding after the Civil War when over half the building was destroyed. This was done by Bishop Cosin. It was also altered in 1767-72 for Bishops Trevor and Egerton and c1795 for Bishop Barrington when the architect was James Wyatt. The Medieval manor had a great hall which is now the Chapel of St Peter. The design is largely Gothic.