Baconsthorpe Castle, Baconsthorpe, Norfolk
A cutaway reconstruction drawing of the Inner Gatehouse. Baconsthorpe Castle is a moated site with a fortified house. The fortified house was built in c1460-86 for John Heydon (died 1480) and Sir Henry Heydon (died 1504). Alterations to the house were carried out in the early 17th century by Sir Christopher Heydon II. By this time the fortunes of the family were in decline, and in the mid 17th century most of the buildings on the moated site were demolished. After the demolition, an outer gatehouse was converted for use as a dwelling, known as Baconsthorpe Hall. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).