Baconsthorpe Castle, Baconsthorpe, Norfolk
These are the remains of a moated site and fortified house known as Baconsthorpe Castle. It is built on what is thought to have been the site of the earlier manor of Wood Hall. The fortified house was built in c1460-86 for John Heydon (died 1480) and Sir Henry Heydon (died 1504). The outer gatehouse and courtyards, with associated barn, were built during the following century. Alterations to the house were carried out in the early 17th century by Sir Christopher Heydon II. By this time the fortunes of the family were in decline, and in the mid 17th century most of the buildings on the moated site were demolished and the gatehouse and outer walls were dismantled. After the demolition, the outer gatehouse was converted for use as a dwelling, known as Baconsthorpe Hall. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).