Bank and Manager's House, Albert Road, Middlesbrough
This bank and manager's house was designed by G.G. Hoskins (Darlington) in French Gothic style. It was built for J. Backhouse and Company, Bankers in 1872/73. It later became Barclays Bank and has since been used as a public house. It occupies an important corner site prominent in views from Exchange Place and Exchange Square. The bank manager's house is to the left of the bank itself. It was common in the early to mid Victorian period for owners or managers of shops, banks and businesses to live above or close to their place of work.