Barking Power Station, Creekmouth, Barking, Greater London
This oblique aerial photograph shows Barking A and B power stations. Barking A was opened 19th May 1925 on the North bank of the River Thames. In 1927 it took over from the Barking Urban District Council station, to provide a bulk electricity supply. Next to it is Barking B power station which became fully operational in 1939. Barking C was added in 1954. From the 1930s into the 1950s Barking was claimed to be the largest steam-generating power station in Europe. The site was chosen for easy delivery of coal from the Thames and by rail. It also had a good water supply and space on the site for expansion. A cable tunnel was constructed under the river to supply the south bank with electricity. These stations were decommissioned by the end of the 1980s and have since been demolished. The current gas-fired power station was built further down the Thames near Dagenham Dock in the early 1990s.