Barton Swing Aqueduct, Eccles, Greater Manchester

Barton Swing Aqueduct, Eccles, Greater Manchester
Photograph taken 1945 - 1980 © Historic England Archive ref: AA98/05172

The Barton Swing Aqueduct shown in the open position to allow a ship to pass along the Manchester Ship Canal below it. The aqueduct carries the Bridgewater Canal over the Manchester Ship Canal, avoiding the use of locks. It opened in 1893. The swing aqueduct's trough is pivoted on rollers and turned by hydraulic power. It is controlled from the same canal control tower which operates the Barton Swing Bridge for road traffic. The trough is 71.6 metres long by 7.3 metres wide with the total wight of the trough of water and superstructure being 1,450 tons.

Location

Greater Manchester Eccles

Period

1950s (1950 - 1959)

Tags

canal boat barge coal men work worker water transport aqueduct 1950s (1950 - 1959)