Basing House Ruins, Old Basing, Hampshire
Basing House Ruins including the Old House, the New House and earlier earthworks. The earthworks are from a Medieval motte and bailey castle which had a keep. It is possibly 12th century in date. After 1531, the site was redeveloped as a fortified house with the construction of the Old House. The New House was also constructed about the same time outside and to the north east of the castle. Both buildings survive as ruins. In the Civil War, the defences around the bailey were extensively remodelled. The site was stormed by Cromwell in 1645.