Belsay Hall, Belsay, Northumberland
Belsay Hall is a Greek Doric style country house designed in 1806-7 by Sir Charles Monck. It was built between 1807-17, using locally quarried ashlar stone and has a Lakeland slate roof. Belsay Hall is one of the most important neo classical country houses in England and was unfurnished when it came into the care of English Heritage. The original furnishings which had been commissioned by the Middleton family who built Belsay Hall had been sold at auction. This is also the site of Belsay Castle. The land itself has belonged to the Middleton family for over 650 years, as the manor of Belsay belonged to Richard de Middleton in 1240. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011).