Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland
Berwick upon Tweed seen from the south bank of the river. The Royal Border Bridge is on the left of the picture and there are two fishing boats and a sailing ship in the foreground in the Harbour. The bridge was built in 1847. It was designed by Robert Stephenson, the noted train designer. The bridge carries the East Coast Mainline trains. It cost £253,000 to build and was opened by Queen Victoria on 29 August 1850.