Beverley Minster, Beverley, East Yorkshire
A view of the Minster from the south west. Originally the church was founded as a monastery in the 8th century. The building seen today dates from the 13th and 14th centuries. The minster is named for St John of Beverley whose tomb drew large numbers of pilgrims to the church. By 1377 Beverley was one of the dozen largest towns in England because of this. By the time of the Reformation it was known as the Collegiate Church of St. John the Evangelist and had several chantry chapels. The Minster was allowed to survive dissolution in 1548 because as well as being a collegiate church it had also served as a parish church.