Bisham Abbey, Marlow Road, Bisham, Windsor and Maidenhead

Bisham Abbey, Marlow Road, Bisham, Windsor and Maidenhead
Photograph taken 27 August 1999 © Mr Jeff Krotz. Source Historic England Archive ref: 40803

The House was built in the 13th century and belonged to the Knights Templars. It became an Augustinian Priory in 1337 and, in 1537, a Benedictine abbey. This was dissolved in 1540 and the estate given to Sir Philip Hoby in 1553.

Location

Windsor and Maidenhead Bisham

Period

Medieval (Middle Ages) (1066 - 1484)

Tags

abbey monastery dissolution religion faith medieval (1066 - 1484)