Black Castle Public House, Junction Road, Brislington, Bristol
This public house was built in 1745-55 for William Reeve as a Sham (fake) castle and used as pleasure rooms and offices. It was built in Gothic style out of blocks of black copper-slag, a waste product from Reeve's copper foundry at Crew's Hole. Many of the carvings and decorative features are supposed to have come from the city's demolished medieval gateways. Others came from St Werburgh's Church which was rebuilt by James Bridges in 1758-61. Sham castles are found all over Britain. This one is regarded as one of the best examples.