Blackbury Camp, nr Southleigh, Devon
Blackbury Camp (also known as 'Blackbury Castle ') is a large Iron Age defended hillfort. It straddles an east to west spur leading from the Broad Down plateau and overlooks valleys formed by tributaries of the River Coly. The defences consist of a bank and outer ditch, enclosing an oval area. The original entrance was on the southern side. Excavations were carried out between 1952 and 1954. Finds included sherds of Iron Age pottery, iron slag, over 1000 slingstones, four whetstones, two spindle whorls, bronze fragments and worked flints. The site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.