Bomb Damage, Coventry, West Midlands
An elevated view looking south from Holy Trinity Church tower showing bomb damage to Broad Gate and High Street with the steeple of Christ Church in the distance. This is a pedestrianised city centre, around which there were commerical and civic buildings, such as Broadgate House. It was designed by Donald E E Gibson who was appointed Coventry City Architect in 1938. However the city centre was badly damaged during World War II. Gibson's reworked plans were published in 1941 and were soon used as propaganda for post-war reconstruction of Britain, they were approved in 1946.