Breakwater Fort, Portland, Dorset
A sea fort situated on the Outer Breakwater of Portland Breakwater. Construction started in 1868 and was completed in 1875. The guns were added in 1892. It is built from Portland stone, concrete and armour-plated steel. During the First World War two 6-inch breech-loading (BL) Mk. VII guns were added to the fort in addition to the 12-pounder guns and coast artillery searchlights (CASL). In 1940-41 the fort was recommissioned and operated as an examination battery. It was reduced to care and maintenance by February 1945. The fort was abandoned in 1956.