Bridge Head Tower and Bridge, Warkworth, Northumberland
This bridge and tower were built in the late 14th century. Records show that John Cook of Newcastle, who died 1378-9, left 20 marks towards the building of Warkworth Bridge. It seems that access to the bridge was always controlled. This meant it was someones job to be in charge of who crossed the bridge. Records show that in 1499 one of the tenants living in Warkworth was a 'custodes pontis' or bridge custodian. This continued for many centuries. In 1726 Edward Cook was elected 'Bridge-Master'. The bridge was closed to road traffic in 1960 and the parapets were also rebuilt in the 20th century.