Brislington House, Bath Road, Bristol
This building was the earliest purpose-built private asylum. It was built in 1804 by Dr E L Fox to pioneer a more humane treatment for the 'insane' (mentally ill). It cost about £35,000 to build and equip. Men and women were housed separately in opposite wings. Separate blocks reflected the social standing of the occupants who were mainly wealthy. The end house was built for the Fox family. It later became a nursing home and is now split up into apartments.