Broomhill House, Southborough, Kent

Broomhill House, Southborough, Kent
Photograph taken 01 September 1999 © Historic England Archive. Source Mrs Barbara Ingram-Monk ref: 169341

This irregular and complex Italianate house was begun in the 1820s. It was originally a cottage that was extended by Decimus Burton, in 1829. It was built for Sir David Salomons (1797-1873), the Jewish Merchant Banker, Lord Mayor of London in 1855 and MP for Greenwich. His son was an early technologist, among other things powering the house by electricity completely by 1884, including lighting. He also held the world's first motor show in the grounds in 1905.

Location

Kent Southborough

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Themes

Tags

house electricity architecture italianate motor georgian (1714 - 1836) victorian (1837 - 1901)