Brunswick Mill, Bradford Road, Manchester, Greater Manchester

Brunswick Mill, Bradford Road, Manchester, Greater Manchester
Photograph taken 03 April 2002 © Mr Charles Madders. Source Historic England Archive ref: 387942

Brunswick mill was an unusually large fireproof cotton spinning mill. It has a distinctive architectural layout and was built in one main phase. It was built in c1839-40 by the firm of David Bellhouseand. It was possibly one of the first mills in Manchester to be converted to electric power. It was continually used for cotton spinning until the mid 20th century. The mill is an example of adaptation to suit changing technologies. It was the first mill in the region to be converted to use mains electricity. It was also adapted to take ring spinning machinery.

Location

Greater Manchester Manchester

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

mill industry textile cotton spinning electricity Victorian (1837 - 1901)