Byland Abbey, North Yorkshire
A reconstruction drawing of Byland Abbey, a Cistercian monastery, at the end of the 15th century. The Cistercian community of 36 monks and 100 lay brothers moved to this site in 1177. 25 monks plus the abbot lived here at the time of the Abbey 's dissolution in November 1538. The site was given to Sir William Pickering and some of the buildings were converted into a house. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).