Central Stable Block to former Hillsborough Barracks, Sheffield, South Yorkshire
This was once the stable block to the Hillsborough barracks. It was built in 1848-54. Hillsborough was built in response to anxiety over civil unrest. It was one of the first barracks planned with the reformed ideas on military accommodation preceding the Crimean War. The stable block was later used as industrial workshops until the mid 20th century. It was converted in 1990 and is now a supermarket.