Chorley Hall, Alderley Edge, Cheshire
The medieval moated site of Chorley Old Hall is the oldest inhabited country house in Cheshire. Chorley Old Hall was constructed circa 1330 by Robert de Chorley. By 1523 the Davenports owned the house and during the mid 16th century constructed a half-timbered house next to the existing building's north-western corner. Ownership passed to the Stanleys in the early 17th century. They undertook alterations in c1640 and built a bridge across the moat. The two houses were joined by a brick link in the late 18th/early 19th century. In 1915 the house was fully restored and further renovations occurred in 1975. The house stands on an island which is surrounded by a waterlogged moat.