Church built with profits from the Slave Trade, Ayot St Lawrence, Hertfordshire

Church built with profits from the Slave Trade, Ayot St Lawrence, Hertfordshire
Photograph taken 11 February 2006 © Historic England Archive/Mr Keith Hurst ref: 158263

New St Lawrence Church, Ayot St Lawrence, Hertfordshire, was built by Sir Lionel Lyde in 1778. He partly demolished the original church using wealth derived from the slave trade to fund the project

Location

Hertfordshire Ayot St Lawrence

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Themes

Tags

slavery slave trade church religion faith diversity