Civil War Surrender, Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall
This is a Civil War reconstruction drawing of the 17th August 1646, showing the 'Honourable' surrender of Royalist troops. Pendennis was constructed between 1540 and 1545 by order of Henry VIII as part of a the Cornish end of a chain of coastal castles designed to defend England from a possible French or Spanish invasion. The castle was strengthened prior to the Civil War. In 1646, it was the last Royalist position in the West of England and a Royalist garrison withstood a 5 month siege from Parliamentarian forces before surrendering. The original Tudor fort is now part of a much larger castle. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more. Take advantage of our free entry for Learning Groups.