Claypenny Hospital, Easingwold, North Yorkshire

This building was originally the Easingwold Union Workhouse. It was built in 1837. The architects were John and William Atkinson. It cost about £2,600 and could accommodate 130 inmates. Women inmates performed domestic work and picked oakum, while men did corn-grinding, stone-breaking and gardening. In 1869 an infirmary was added. In 1934 it became a home for disabled people, called Claypenny Colony. It was later known as Claypenny Hospital. In the early 21st Century the buildings are used for private residences.


North Yorkshire Easingwold


Victorian (1837 - 1901)


workhouse poor institution social welfare hospital Victorian (1837 - 1901)