Clock Tower, Derry's Cross, Plymouth
This free standing clock tower was built from Plymouth limestone ashlar with darker granite bands. It dates from 1862 and stood at the centre of Victorian Plymouth. The clock tower and a nearby bank are the only buildings in this immediate part of Plymouth to survive the Blitz. To many of the citizens this clock seemed to be a symbol of defiance against the enemy. It appeared to offer a promise that Plymouth would rise again from the ashes. It now stands dwarfed by newer buildings.