Conisbrough Castle, Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

This engraving is titled ''South View of Conisbrough Castle near Doncaster in Yorkshire''. It was drawn in 1725 by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck. They were brothers who, in 1724, set out around England to make prints of 'antiquities'. The site of Conisbrough Castle was part of the honour of Conisbrough given to Earl Warenne by his father-in-law William the Conqueror. The castle was built during the 12th century and remained in the hands of the de Warennes until the reign of Edward III. Then it passed to Edmund of Langley, Duke of York, and to his descendants. It had royal visits from King John in 1201 and Edward II in 1322. From 1347 it became part of the estates of the royal Dukes of York: Richard 'of Conisbrough', Earl of Cambridge, younger son of the first duke, was probably born here. After his execution for plotting against Henry V in 1415 it was occupied by his widow until her death in 1446. Thereafter however it gradually fell out of use, and by 1538 it was already ruinous and indefensible. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011). Read detailed archaeological description.


South Yorkshire Conisbrough


Georgian (1714 - 1836)


english heritage castle attack defence ruin royal drawing norman medieval (1066 - 1484)