Coombe Conduit, Kingston upon Thames, Greater London
This building in Coombe Road West is thought to have been built between 1538-1545. It is part of Cardinal Wolsey's water supply system for Hampton Court Palace. The water system stretched 3 and a half miles bringing water from Kingston Hill and Coombe Hill to the palace. It passed under Kingston and under the Thames. Coombe is one of three Conduit Houses still standing The other two are Gallows Conduit and Ivy Conduit in George Road. Coombe Conduit is the most elaborate and interesting of the 3. It consists of two buildings connected by an 81 feet long underground passage. Below ground are 3 separate compartments, all three have lead water tanks. This site is managed by Kingston-upon-Thames Society and is now in the care of English Heritage (2010). Find out more.