Council Housing, Cowley Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire

Council Housing, Cowley Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire
Photograph taken 1921 © Reproduced by permission of Historic England Archive ref: bb72_06700

This large council estate in Cowley Road was built on Garden Suburb principals with wide roads named after poets. This view shows the corner with Shelly Road. The estate was once known as 'White City'. All the houses had bathrooms and were supplied with gas for cooking and lighting.

Location

Oxfordshire Oxford

Period

1920s (1920 - 1929)

Tags

council house housing estate