Crescent Road Mill, Crescent Road, Dukinfield, Greater Manchester
These are a series of buildings associated with cotton spinning and weaving. The oldest part dates back to 1819. Josuah Binns built himself a 'new mill' on this site 1819. By 1824 he had built another range, in partnership with James Dean. They operated 18 pairs of mules and 14 carding engines. By 1833 a 20 h.p. steam engine had been installed and 93 people were employed, spinning medium-fine counts of yarn. A third extension was added by 1836 and power-loom weaving was introduced. By 1845 a detached range had been built, possibly for spinning and the manufacture of printing cloth. The remainder of the mill was spinning power-loom twist for Matthew Binns and GJ Wainwright. They left in the 1850s. Cotton spinning was carried on by Clementson and Leyland. In 1871 William Young and Co. were the sole occupants. The last recorded use of the site as a mill was in 1876.