Dame School, Orton, Cumbria
The dame school was built in 1780 by the yeomen farmers of Raisbeck and repaired in 1857. It was converted for use as a house in the late 20th century. Dame schools were schools for young children and only provided a very basic education. In some cases the children were just looked after and not taught at all. They were used by poorer people who had to work and would pay a small sum for the dame to look after their children.