Dartmouth Castle, Dartmouth, Devon
The castle with its adjoining gun platforms was built in 1480-1494 and has had successive later modernisations. It has a double tower. The small round tower was begun first and the square tower was built alongside. The 2 merged at a higher level. The round tower received the Dartmouth end of a chain boom across the estuary. The square tower contained the main armament. There was barrack accommodation on the upper 2 floors with a turret projecting from the south side and rising to serve as a lookout. It is an important example of a fort designed for artillery built before the castles of Henry VIII. This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2010).