Devonshire Royal Hospital, Devonshire Road, Buxton, Derbyshire

Devonshire Royal Hospital, Devonshire Road, Buxton, Derbyshire
Photograph taken 18 June 2000 © Mr CA Packham. Source Historic England Archive ref: 462983

The hospital was originally built for the 5th Duke of Devonshire in 1785-90 as stables to the Crescent. It has an inscription giving information about its history: 'ONE HALF OF THIS BUILDING WAS GIVEN TO THE USE OF THE POOR BY WILLIAM SPENCER CAVENDISH SIXTH DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE IN THE YEAR 1859 AND CONVEYED TO TRUSTEES AS THE DEVONSHIRE HOSPITAL TOGETHER WITH THE PLEASURE GROUNDS BY WILLIAM CAVENDISH 7TH DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE IN THE YEAR 1868. THE REMAINDER OF THE BUILDING WAS OBTAINED IN THE YEAR 1878 AND THE WHOLE WAS INTERNALLY RECONSTRUCTED BY THE GOVERNORS OF THE COTTON DISTRICTS CONVALESCENT FUND IN THE YEAR 1881'.

Location

Derbyshire Buxton

Period

Georgian (1714 - 1836)

Tags

hospital almshouse poor charity health philanthropy Georgian (1714 - 1836)