Dry Dock, Gloucester, Gloucestershire
This dry dock was built in 1837 on the site of an earlier dry dock. Dry docks are used as areas to repair ships. The ships can be kept dry (out of the water) while work/repairs are carried out on them. This dock is just one part of the Gloucester Docks. Gloucester Docks were constructed between 1794 and 1799 following an Act of Parliament in 1793 which authorized a canal to be built from Berkeley Pill to Gloucester.