Dupath Well House, Callington, Cornwall
"The small chapel-like building was probably built in about 1510 by the Augustinian canons of the nearby priory of St Germans. The architecture is typical of the late 15th and early 16th centuries. At one time the spring at Dupath was believed to cure whooping cough. It may have been used on occasion for baptisms. The building would have brought money into the monastery since visitors to the spring would have left offerings, much as they do at wishing wells today. In the medieval period the cult of holy wells was very strong. About 40 Cornish springs or wells had structures of some kind built over them. This cult was condemned at the time of the Reformation when the monasteries were dissolved. However, local people continued to believe in them and folklore customs continued, in some cases to the present day. One grim tale associated with Dupath tells that two Saxons – Colan (Cornish for heart or courage) and Gottlieb – fought a duel there for a lady’s hand. But the maiden went unmarried: Colan was killed outright and Gottlieb was fatally wounded, dying later of 'impatience'. This property is now (2011) in the care of English Heritage. Read more.