Fire Bell Gate at Barking Abbey, Barking, Greater London
This gateway was probably built in the time of Abbess Felton (1349-1419). It is first mentioned in 1400. It was then rebuilt in c1460. It was part of Barking Abbey. This was a Benedictine nunnery founded in c666 and closed in 1539 as part of the Dissolution. It was one of the greatest nunneries of England. The gateway was also known as the Curfew Tower or Cemetery Gate when it later became the entrance to the parish churchyard.