Former Bank, Newark, Nottinghamshire
This building was originally a bank and manager's house. It was built in 1887 in an Italian Gothic Revival style of architecture. It is a virtually intact example of the idiosyncratic work of Watson Fothergill. Fothergill was one of the leading local architects practicing in the Nottingham area from about 1870 to 1906. During these thirty or so years he designed over a hundred buildings including houses, banks, churches, shops and warehouses. Many of them still survive today.