Former Carlisle Brewery, Bridge Street, Carlisle
Atkinson and Son brewery opened in 1756. The present buildings were largely built by Sir Richard Hodgson in the 19th century. He owned the brewery until 1916. At that time it became the brewery for the government's Liquor Control Board, later the Carlisle and District State Management Scheme. During World War 1 the government wanted to control drunkenness so that workers would produce more goods. An experiment was tried in the Carlisle area. The only beer to be served was that brewed by the local, government-owned brewery. This was brewed at a reduced level of alcohol. The brewery was owned by the government until 1971 and sold to Theakston's in 1974. It closed in 1987. After it had stood derelict for some years a large part of the brewery was demolished and the rest became apartments.