Former Explosives Store, Middleton in Teesdale, Durham

Former Explosives Store, Middleton in Teesdale, Durham
Photograph taken 03 August 1999 © Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive ref: 111900

This Mine explosives store dates from the early 19th century. It was possibly originally a stable and lodging shop. It was attached to Coldberry Mine which was built by the London Lead Company in the mid 19th century. The early history of the lead workings at Coldberry is uncertain though more than two million tons of material had been removed from the area by the mid 18th century.

Location

Durham Middleton in Teesdale

Period

Victorian (1837 - 1901)

Tags

industry work mining lead explosive Victorian (1837 - 1901)