Former Fulling Mill, The Banks, Durham

This building was originally a water mill and house. It dates from the 17th century and probably incorporated some fragments of an earlier building. It was used as a fulling mill and has since been converted to be used as an archaeology museum. It stands on the left bank of the River Wear from where water was diverted into a race (channel) which turned the waterwheel to power the mill's machinery.


Durham Durham


Stuart (1603 - 1713)


mill industry textile water stuart (1603 - 1713)