Former Phillipson Memorial Orphanage, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
The Phillipson Memorial Orphanage was built in 1873. It was designed by George T Redmayne and donated by Ralph Clark Phillipson. It was later used as a maternity hospital. Before the state welfare system was established many orphanages and hospitals were built with donations from wealthy benefactors. This building is an early example of the Domestic Revival or Queen Anne Revival style of architecture.