Former Tower Brewery, Langthorpe, North Yorkshire

Former Tower Brewery, Langthorpe, North Yorkshire
Photograph taken 02 October 2001 © Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive ref: 331269

This Tower brewery was built in 1856 for Warwick's Anchor Brewery. This is an early example of the brewing process developed in the 1860s in which beer-production took place in successive stages, on different floor levels, of a tall brewhouse. Water was pumped to the top by steam power and the liquor passed down through various stages by gravity.