Former Village Reading Room, Witham Friary, Somerset
This building has had many uses over the centuries. It was originally part of a Carthusian Priory founded in 1182 by Henry II. It is reputed to be the first Carthusian house in England and one of only nine Carthusian Houses. The priory was dissolved in 1539 when it was valued at £227. It has since been a dovecote and village reading room. It was restored in 1900 for the Duke of Somerset.