Fort Cumberland, Fort Cumberland Road, Portsmouth
One of England's most impressive pieces of 18th century defensive architecture, Fort Cumberland was reconstructed in pentagonal form by the Duke of Richmond between 1785 and 1810. It was designed to protect Langstone Harbour. It is built on the site of an earlier fort built. This first fort was named after the Duke of Cumberland and was built around 1747 in the form of an irregular pentagon with two principal bastions (towers). This site is now in the care of English Heritage (2011). Read detailed archaeological description.