Fort Perch Rock, New Brighton, Merseyside

This fort was built in 1826-9 by Captain J. Sykes Kitson of the Royal Engineers. It was part of a series of permanent defences on the Mersey. Between 1894 and 1899 it was remodelled and new guns were added. Two coast artillery searchlights were installed at the site by the First World War and the guns were upgraded. The fort was active during the Second World War and by 1943 was manned by the Home Guard. It was decommissioned in 1957. It has since housed a museum and aquarium.


Merseyside Wallasey


Georgian (1714 - 1836)


military defence sea coast fort attack world war one first wwi ww1 ww2 georgian (1714 - 1836)