French Convalescent Home, De Courcel Road, Brighton, Brighton and Hove
The French Convalescent Home was built in 1895-1907. It is probably the only one in the country. Patients from the French Hospital in Shaftesbury Avenue, London were sent here to complete their recovery. The nuns were replaced by regular nursing staff in 1994. It was never exclusively for French people. During the First World War it looked after British war wounded.