Friends Meeting House, Railway Street, Hertford, Hertfordshire
This Friends Meeting House is dated 1670. It is believed to be the oldest purpose built meeting house to have been in continuous use for worship throughout its existence. A Quaker preacher first came to Hertford in 1655 and services were held in private houses. Then in 1669 the decision was taken to build the Meeting House, at a cost of £243 12s 0d. George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers) visited the building at least 3 times. In 1981 comprehensive repairs costing £72,000 took place.