Gas Lamp, Kings Cross, Camden Town, Greater London

Gas Lamp, Kings Cross, Camden Town, Greater London
Photograph taken 1946 - 1969 © Historic England Archive ref: aa066004

A street view with an open gas street light in the foreground and the gasometers (gas holders) at Kings Cross in the distance. Gas was predominantly used for lighting in the Victorian period. Major streets were illuminated by a lightman who lit the gas powered lampposts. A gasometer is actually the meter within a gas holder that measures the amount of gas held.

Location

Greater London Camden Town

Period

1950s (1950 - 1959)

Themes

Tags

gas lighting street victorian (1837 - 1901)