Gell's Bedehouses, Church Yard, Wirksworth, Derbyshire

Gell's Bedehouses, Church Yard, Wirksworth, Derbyshire
Photograph taken 15 September 2004 © Mr Roy Millett AFIAP, APAGB. Source Historic England Archive ref: 79697

Gell's Bedehouses (almshouses) were founded by Anthony Gell in 1584 and built shortly afterwards. Anthony Gell, who died in 1584, was a barrister at Inner Temple in London. He founded Wirksworth Grammar School as well as the almshouses and bought the manor of Carsington. The Gell family lived at Hopton Hall.

Location

Derbyshire Wirksworth

Period

Tudor (1485 - 1602)

Tags

almshouse poor charity philanthropy Tudor (1485 - 1602)